Friday, October 31, 2008

It's Halloween!

I was just thinking about how few memories I actually have of my own childhood Halloween experiences. I remember gutting pumpkins and hating the goo and strings inside. I remember one year gutting a pumpkin and then puking up curly fries from Arby's that I had eaten that night for dinner (I believe this was the last year I ever removed the insides of a pumpkin). I remember one Halloween walking around with my Dad and sister in our Michigan neighborhood with glo-sticks. And I remember one Halloween in Tennessee. That's about it.

Since then, I have dressed up from time to time, and sometimes have given out candy, but I guess Halloween isn't too special of day for me. This year, Mike and I were going to carve a pumpkin (on the basis that he was going to clean out the insides) but we didn't. I haven't carved a pumpkin in probably 18 years. And that's no exaggeration. Maybe next year I guess. I do like to eat roasted pumpkin seeds, so if for no other reason, I'd like to carve a pumpkin to get to the seeds...after someone else cleans the pumpkin out for me of course.

This is the first Halloween that Mike and I have spent together. He's always been either working in North Carolina or working in Iraq. So, I guess you could say this is a monumental occasion. But I don't think we are going to make much of it. I've made a trip to Walmart today for candy and now I'm cooking a broccoli and cheese pizza for us for dinner. There have been several groups of kids come by already and I guess as soon as they stop knocking, we'll probably call it a night.

Tomorrow morning John McCain is going to be in Springfield. Mike got tickets. I'm not going because it's going to be 40 degrees and I'm not willing to stand outside in that weather for any amount of time for even Obama so definitely not McCain. He was planning to go, but I think he's second guessing for the same reason. But I'm not influencing him either way.

Well, I will leave you with a "Happy Halloween" and sign off for the day. It's time to eat pizza.

No comments: