Sunday, November 2, 2008

What a nice weekend break

This weekend has been really nice. Saturday morning, Mike and I went to breakfast at this one place out here called the Silver Diner. I didn't want to try it at first. They had one in Fairfax as well and usually "diners" don't pan out too well for vegetarian folks like me. But, a few weekends ago I decided to give it a try. And it was so good then that we decided to go back yesterday. It's a really yummy place. And CLEAN! Not something you would typically think when speaking of a diner. They even serve vegetarian sausage. Of course, I wouldn't order anything like that a restaurant that also serves real meat. There would be too good of a chance that something would get mixed up or touch something meaty. But just that they have that as an option says something positive about the place to me. Yesterday I ordered the pecan pancakes. They were really good! They served 3 on a plate which I would have considered a perfect sized meal, but the pancakes were so thick that I could barely eat half of the stack! Too bad you can't take pancakes home in a to go box! The first time out there I ordered the blueberry and cream cheese stuffed french toast. That was really good as well. I can't wait to try out something else!

So after our yummy breakfast, we went over to the mall to try and get Michael some new fitting pants but failed. Then we went over to Trader Joe's where I got some vegetables to cook last night into a lasagna. It was such a beautiful day. The temperature was in the 70's and it was sunny. It just added to the nice afternoon. We came home and relaxed until I started dinner. My spinach and mushroom lasagna was a hit! I can't believe I've never cooked that for Michael before. It's one dish that is fairly simple to make and mine is always yummy. After dinner Michael left in a personal vehicle that came and picked him up to go to the airport and then off to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Today has been just as a relaxing of a day as yesterday. I read before going to sleep and then had 4 kitties keep me company all night long. It is a rare occurrence that all of them will sleep with me at the same time, probably mainly because there isn't enough room on my side of the bed for them all and Mike likes to kick them in his sleep. But last night, with only me in the bed, all of them were showing their love. Every time I woke up someone else would be beside me. I guess they kept rotating their positions from my feet, to my side to my chest. One time I woke up and Sabrina was sleeping right where Mike normally does. It's just so cute! Right now I'm on the couch and Skye is sleeping with his belly up in the air laying right next to me. I think they know that no one is going to chase them around when I'm the only one home so they are more relaxed. They are the best creatures ever!

So, now that I've had a nice relaxing weekend, eating good food, spending quality time with my cats and reading my book, I plan to get the rest of the upstairs completed this week. I have one of the spare bedroom closets to finish, most of the hallway, and some trim. None of that is including the bathroom which I think we will tackle once we have the downstairs bathroom in working order again. I'm hoping that at least can get started when my dad is in town in a couple weeks. It doesn't sound like too much left, but it will end up taking me all week. It takes a long time to tape up walls and then once you get your first coat of paint down, you can't paint again for at least 4 hours. So really, only one coat can be done per day. I figure, by the end of the week, everything that I wanted to accomplish, should be done. Which is really exciting.

I think it's candy time. I've already eaten some leftovers from dinner last night as well as some Sour Patch Kids, but I feel like something sugary again. We have plenty of left over candy from Halloween, so I guess I'll go dig in there for a bit. I hope everyone had just as good of a weekend as I did. I can't wait until Michael gets home next Saturday to have another one...minus the reading and cat time. Neither works out too well with him in the house.

No comments: