Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday brunch and Wegman's

Yes, today was not a typical Sunday for us these days. Usually our weekends consist of sleeping in till after 10a, laying in bed with our laptop computers on our laps till after 2p and then eating some kind of make shift first meal. We may or may not decide to shower and will usually just lay around watching TV all day or, in Micheal's case, taking periodic naps throughout. Well, today was not a typical day...thank goodness. We did start off the day late, getting up after 10a, but then, oh yes, we TOOK SHOWERS!!!! ON A SUNDAY!!!! And after that we picked a brunch restaurant out that I found online and decided to try it. It is this place called Clyde's. They started out with just one (in Tyson's Corner where we went) and have since expanded to a total of 13 sister restaurants. Their menu changes daily so the menu we saw online was not accurate for the current day, but the things that were listed looked interesting enough so we decided to try it. We got out there a little after 2p. I ordered the Challah bread french toast (which was supposed to have blackberries on it) with a side of fruit and Mike got some kind of sandwich with an egg, and ham with some kind of sauce on top (it wasn't hollandaise, but was slightly reminiscent of it). He also got a cup of the soup of the day, wild mushroom cream. They brought out a homemade crumb cake first. I guess this was their appetizer bread. The crumb cake was good. So, I had hopes for my main meal. We haven't had much luck around the DC area finding restaurants that we want to go back to, so I was excited to eat something that may bring on a good main course. Mike's soup came out next. He said it was really good. Another plus! Then came our main courses. My Challah bread french toast looked beautiful, but did not have any blackberries on it like I was expecting. I didn't think it was a big enough deal to say anything so I ate it without. The fruit was a disappointment as all it had in it was one tiny slice of a plum and all the rest melon. Yuck. I don't like cantaloupe or honeydew and the bowl was full of both. So I realized then I was going to have a meal that consisted solely on bread. That was another slight disappointment. I took my first bite and was completely satisfied. More than satisfied perhaps. Today's french toast may have been the best french toast I've ever had. The bread was almost like bread pudding in my mouth. It was soft and supple and dense all in one, and not overcooked! Even the crusts were soft unlike most french toast I've had in the past. I was happy. I asked Mike how his was and he said "Pretty good". That's all I got out of him. I think we were both fairly impressed with the place and will probably be back. That will be a first for us in this city!! Yay!

After brunch we drove over to "our" house. We weren't expecting to get in, but we wanted to look around to see if any trees had toppled over into it or if there was any damage from the storm. We got there and from the outside, everything seemed OK. When we walked around to the back yard, me, being the inquisitive person I am, decided to check out the locks on the windows in the kitchen. I found that at least one was unlocked. So, I pushed aside the window and climbed in. Yep. I trespassed on to our future property. Mike followed me in and we checked out the inside. We were both concerned about the standing water in the basement that we didn't think had been fixed. We went downstairs and the water was gone. The pipes didn't look like they had been fixed yet, but water was not dripping anywhere and the standing water was non-existent. So, someone had definitely cleaned up the mess. This was a relief. I was sure that we were going to see mildew growing on the walls in that room. Now all we need is to have that contractor fix the pipes that were leaking and then we can get in our inspector in there again. And then move in. We are both very ready to get working on that place!

We left "our" house and then went over to the grocery store, Wegman's. Mike has been complaining that we don't have any food in the hotel room (which we do, but you actually have to prepare the food, not just pop-it-in-the-microwave). So, I made him shop. He picked up TONS of processed, prepared foods for himself for both dinners and lunches. Yes, he is now going to be bringing his lunch to work. He's like a little kid going to school. The lunch he made himself for tomorrow is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (not natural peanut butter...the gross processed kind) on what I would call "brown" bread (not whole wheat but one that they call "Honey Wheat" on the package....he chose this kind only after searching for "Bunny Bread" to no avail), 2 Capri Sun's (yes, the kind with the straw you stick in that comes glued to the side), a single pack of Doritos, a Jello in one of those prepackaged containers, and two mini-chocolate candy packs (I didn't really look too close to see what it was). I feel like I'm married to a 12 year old. But I do love my 12 year old. (I guess I like them young.) I told him he's going to gain weight now eating all this crap. And that's only part of the crap he bought. I'm sure I will talk about more of the crap he bought in future posts as he eats everything.

And here's to getting fat...

No comments: