Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

I must say...I've never been much of a political person. I've always voted for the Democrat up for election at the time, and always watched the news afterwards to see who would ultimately win the election, but this election has been something special to me. In 2004, all I wanted was someone to get elected besides Bush. I wanted Bush OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!!! Unfortunately, I wasn't too keen on Kerry. But I still voted for him in hopes that we would be a nation that would come together to get this most awful president in my time OUT. I was disappointed with the outcome.

This year, when the democrats and republicans were still duking it out to see who would end up being the last man standing to run for president, I was torn over the final two democrats, Clinton vs. Obama. It took me a while, listening to both sides and critiquing performances, to decide on a candidate for me. As time went on, I decided that Barack would be my candidate. Don't get me wrong. If Hillary would have won, I would have voted for her just the same, but there was a part of me that felt more of a connection to Barack than to Hillary.

The more time has gone on and the more I see random clips here or there with Obama and his family, whether candid or not, I can tell their family is real. I can see the love between Michelle and Barack, and I can see the love they have for their children. I was moved to find out tonight that they brought both of their girls to the polls today and let them watch as they voted themselves. I just feel they are really good parents that put their girls first. And I see them as having a very stable marriage. This, again, isn't the basis of my decision to vote for Obama, but it just adds to the humbleness I feel he and his family maintain. As much as people have tried to put him down and say that he's all phony and all talk, I see through that. And I think he's going to truly be a great asset to this nation.

I say that prematurely, as no polls have closed and been released yet (except for the small town in New Hampshire where Obama pulled out a HUGE win; but that doesn't count for anything in the big scheme of things). I just have a very positive feeling that Obama is going to win by a landslide margin. And if I'm wrong about the landslide, I'm still sure he's going to pull out a win. I don't think this is just because of the African-American population getting involved (although they have played a very big role in making today happen), I also think there are others out there that have seen the same thing from Obama that I have.

I feel I'm a pretty good judge of character. I haven't met this man in my personal life, but just looking at expressions and noticing certain movements and gestures, I feel I've done a good job judging this one. I am looking forward to things to come. I know no political winners can do all they have promised exactly the way they have promised them, but I feel that things are going to start turning a positive direction for this country and our Earth. We really need a change and I think we are going to get a start to that change.

On another note completely separate from the election, tonight I made myself a spinach, mushroom, garlic and tomato quiche with cheddar and Parmesan cheese. I have never been much of a quiche fan, but I figured since I still had half of my dough from my pot pie crust from last week, and I have plenty of eggs and some left over light cream from a dinner I made a few nights ago, I thought it was a good time to use everything up. And it was delicious! I am starting to really impress myself with my dinners lately. I've been good with desserts and baked goods for many years now, but my dinners were always still lacking. But for these past couple weeks, I will have to pat myself on the back because I've really impressed myself. I just am sorry I was the only one to eat my meal tonight. And I'll have to finish the leftovers myself before Michael gets home. I guess that just means I'll have to make it again. But the first attempt is always more impressive.

Happy voting and happy dinners from the Wilcox Clark household, to yours!

No comments: