Saturday, December 20, 2008

Microwave is installed!


After almost a week of trying to install our new over-the-stove microwave, we have finally completed our mission...but not without more complications to slow us down. I bought the 5/8" drill bit the other night as well as a stud finder. But since that day, we haven't attempted to continue with the installation, until this morning. We marked the stud with the stud finder and drilled the holes with the big drill bit. Then we attached the bracket that holds the microwave in place as the directions said. Next, we were to drill holes in the cabinet above using a template included. We taped the template to the bottom of the cabinet and moved on to the next direction...drill 1/2" holes in three places. Well, as you might have guessed, we didn't have a 1/2" drill bit. After much more frustration, back to Home Depot we went! We made a trip to the grocery store too while we were out and I got my prescription for Veramist filled. My sample is just about out and it seems to be working for me. Either that or I've been lucky the last week and only sneeze a couple times a day.

So, we got back with the 1/2" drill bit, drilled the appropriate holes in the cabinet, placed the microwave on the bracket, put the remaining screws in to balance it, realized the microwave wasn't on the bracket in all four locations, removed the balancing screws, removed the microwave, repositioned the microwave on all four places on the bracket attached to the wall, screwed the balancing screws back on and FINALLY got to plug in the microwave. And guess what...after figuring out which switch in the power box needed to be turned back on, the microwave WORKED!!! Now we are just waiting on the charcoal filter to come in the mail to be used with a recirculating air exhaust and everything will be complete! And I don't think it's going to be falling off the wall any time soon since I actually read the directions! Something I don't think would have happened had I not been supervising this entire affair. The only mistake on my part that I must confess to was not reading further in the directions to know that we were missing the 1/2" drill bit at the same time I had to purchase the 5/8" drill bit.

On another note, we opened up presents tonight for Christmas and we now have a dual compartment wine cooler! It was my present to Michael since he's been talking about wanting one since we moved in. I got a really good deal on it and the shipping was free. Now it is installed in our kitchen as well. WE FINALLY HAVE A FULLY FUNCTIONING KITCHEN! And the counter tops aren't covered with crap anymore either (including the little microwave that found it's way to Springfield, VA from Wilmington, NC after making a 6 month stop in storage in Camp LeJeune, NC.) The wine cooler's two separate compartments can be set to two different temperatures each corresponding to the color of the wine. I think I did good this year! And since it's the first Christmas that Michael and I will be spending together, I hope it turns out to be a good one.

No comments: