Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sitting in the hotel

Actually, I am laying on the bed in the hotel. I need to get up and take a shower and walk over to Cafe du Monde. The trip hasn't been as great as I had expected, and being that this is the last night here, I'm not sure if tonight will make the trip a success. I hope that once Michael gets done working we can decide on a nice dinner somewhere (maybe NOLA or Emeril's since he's been wanting to go there every day since we've been here). I've been very disappointed in my food here up until now. We did eat at a really good Thai fusion restaurant on Saturday night but since then, our meals have been mediocre at best. We ate at this place that catered to me on Sunday where I got a vegan gumbo and black beans and rice dish. They were both extremely bland. I had to add in Cajun spices and hot sauce that were sitting in the middle of the table just to make them more edible. For dinner we ate at a pizza place that was good, but it's hard to screw up pizza. On Monday we ate lunch at this place where you dress your own burger. I had to have them cook the veggie burger on a skillet instead of near the meat. The food here was pretty good and I left full. That night we ate at a tapas restaurant that I had high hopes for, but didn't cut it for me. Yesterday morning I ordered cheese blintzes with strawberries from a place that had gotten pretty good reviews. It was OK, but nothing to write home about. And then last night I ate at an Indian/Pakistani/pizza/burger/fried chicken joint that had gotten good reviews for it's vegetarian food. I was really disappointed in this place. I was expecting a hole in the wall with good food. I definitely found the hole in the wall to be true, but the food (I ordered a spinach and chick pea Indian dish over rice) was not that great. I've eaten some amazing Indian/Pakistani dishes in my time and this was definitely not even close to middle of the list. And now we are to the present time and I don't know what to expect for the food that is going to come. Hopefully it will be better than the last few days.

I'm getting a slight headache so I think I'm going to get off here and take some ibuprofen before it gets worse and then head out to eat some food. The weather has been pretty cold every day here but today it's supposed to be in the mid-70's so I need to bask in the nice weather while it's here.

No comments: