Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday in March with Snow on the Ground

Yes...it is March and it snowed yesterday more than it has all winter! We got about 5 inches of snow here....in MARCH! It's supposed to get to the 60's this weekend, so this fluke cold weather is strange. And it's been really cold the last 2 days too. Today I think it made it up to 30 degrees. I'm ready for winter to be over with.

The rest of the New Orleans trip wasn't much better than the few days I previously wrote about. I ended up walking over to Cafe du Monde and got some beignets and a decaf cafe au lait. The coffee wasn't half bad with a ton of sugar in it, but the beignets I was disappointed with. I got them to go so maybe that was part of the problem, but they just weren't that satisfying. Later that afternoon I walked to a building where the 113th Army jazz band were playing. They were really good! Later on that night after Michael was done working for the day, we walked over to a place where Michael could get some oysters and then we went to Emeril's for dinner. Emeril's was really good and I can honestly say that the two really memorable places to eat while in New Orleans have been with NOLA and Emeril's. I also really enjoyed Hip Stix (the Thai restaurant I wrote about in the last post) and will probably list that as a memorable place to eat as well.

As far as the rest of the trip goes, I could have had more fun walking around the fairly clean city of D.C. New Orleans is dirty, stinky and people really disrespect the environment there. I would never want to live there, or visit during Mardi Gras again, if I can help it. I didn't have a good time watching the crazy people trying to grab at the massive amounts of beads being thrown off the floats, the floats themselves were all basically the same, the old penises and boobs can definitely stay in their prospective clothing, the trash produced is just sad and definitely should be regulated better, the food isn't good in the Quarter, and the city is overall just overrated. Sorry husband but that is the absolute truth to the matter.

I was happy to come home, see the felines and the fish, get some love from the felines and get back into a normal routine. I hope our next "vacation" turns out better than this last one. I actually enjoy having a good time while on vacation. Oh, and I tried a generic King Cake and it wasn't that great. I will admit that I still haven't tried a cream cheese filled one from a good bakery (yes, Michael still hasn't gotten me one) but I tried one that was given to us by the hotel and I was majorly disappointed. I did, however, really enjoy all the pralines that we bought at a candy store in the French Quarter. Sugar, butter and nuts put together are always a favorite of mine!

No comments: