Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The mosquitoes are improving

This past weekend the temperature finally broke below 80 degrees. It has consistently been in the 80's and 90's since we moved down here, but the weekend my friends come down from apparently cold and wet Tennessee, we get into the 70's. Seventy degree temperatures were actually a nice break from the heat and humidity that I've found in Texas, but at night, it got a little chilly for me. I have the windows open today, and a couple days ago I aired out the house as well. I actually could probably put the A/C back on today since it feels like it's back in the low 80's, but I figure I'll wait until I can no longer stand the temperature. And, I just officially checked the current temperature in Baytown, and we are at 81 degrees. I can't complain about the warmth in mid-October.

I've noticed since the temperatures reduced quite a bit over the past weekend that the mosquitoes have not been attacking me when I leave the house. I haven't attempted to stay outside for a very long time, but the trip to the mailbox and to the car when I'm leaving the house has not been bad at all. I'm thinking about actually attempting to maybe sit outside sometime soon and enjoy the nice weather. I may wait until after I buy a couple citronella candles though just to be certain.

Even with the improvement of the mosquito situation, the fire ant problem has not improved. Last week I went into the garage to move the trash bin outside. I wasn't able to see since it was nighttime and once I realized what was happening, it was too late. Apparently fire ants had discovered something yummy in the bottom of the trash can (I haven't officially blamed Mike for this, but I have my suspicions. I sometimes notice a fast food drink container in the bottom of the empty trash can. Instead of throwing his cup into a trash can with a bag, he thinks it's OK to just put it in the trash bin. I'm sure ants would just love a little high fructose corn syrup to bring back to their mounds.) Once I started moving the trash bin outside from the garage, I started feeling my hand getting stung, and then I felt my toe getting stung. I looked down and had a swarm of fire ants trying to kill me. They failed in their attempt to remove me from this Earth, but I do have 4 lovely blisters on my left thumb, 2 nice bumps on my right big toe, and three formally pussy but now scabbed over blisters on the back of my right arm. I am so tired of that stupid species of ant. I look like I have warts on my thumb with the way they've bubbled up. It's pretty gross and quite annoying as everything I seem to touch hits directly on my ant stings. We really need to hire a fire ant guy. I just don't want to kill the other insects outside. I like the multitude of crickets out there. I think they are cute. And we also have lots of frogs and toads. And I don't want them harmed either.

So currently Mike is in Houston for a 3 day meeting. They have him in a hotel so he doesn't have to drive the hour each way to the location. We had talked about me going out there for at least a day to explore, but with him having meetings all day and then events scheduled with work every night, I chose to stay here with the cats who have thoroughly enjoyed their momma time. I woke up this morning with all three girls sleeping on the bed with me. And I'm pretty certain that at some point I had four cats with me as I tried to move my legs into a more comfortable position, but had many weights on the comforter making it nearly impossible to move.

I don't have any plans for today. I'm trying to hold off on cleaning until a little later in the week so that when Mike's parents come to visit on Friday that there will be the least amount of cat hair floating around as possible. I might make today "wash the dirty sheets" day. That is something I can do in advance of the parent-in-law trip. I've already washed all the dirty towels from when my friends came to visit so that's one thing off the list. I'm not sure what the plan is when Mike's parents are in town, but we have talked about going to the local racetrack down the street and watching a race. Mike has also talked about going to Kemah Boardwalk which we have been to a few times now. I'm sure we will also go into Houston for some good food somewhere. I think they are staying with us this time, but I can never be quite sure. I've always thought since the first time they stayed at our place in Wilmington that the cats were too much for them. Ever since that time when they've come to visit they have always stayed at a hotel. We definitely have plenty of room for them here, but I haven't gotten confirmation as of yet.

I will leave you with a picture of Mike with his birthday gift from me this year and a picture of me with a very happy shark.

No comments: