Thursday, August 13, 2009

Packed up and ready to move

We are down to the bare minimum at the house now and we leave for the first leg of our move to Texas in the morning. We are stopping in Birmingham, AL for the night which should be a little over half way to Baytown. If Google Maps is correct, we should be to Birmingham in about 11 hours. On Saturday, it should take us about 10 hours to get to Baytown. The cats are not going to be having fun the next couple days. We did get a tranquilizer from the vet, so we will try those out. This is not the Valium that they had last time so hopefully this one will work better and not have many side effects. Half a day is a long time to be screaming in a car!

On Monday, I was replacing a pane of glass in a french door at our house. This pane has been broken since moving in and we had planned to fix it, then tried to get a new door and when that plan didn't work out, we went back to trying to fix it. I removed all of the broken old glass, took off the trim work around that pane, cleaned up the inside of the wood and got it ready for the new pane of glass. I was being safe and wearing gloves this entire time. Well, once I was ready for the new pane, I had to put in this puddy to make the glass stick so I removed my gloves. After placing the puddy inside the wood, I put the pane inside and was trying to maneuver it into place when it shattered on my right hand. I immediately had the thought that if I didn't get cut by that then I was really lucky. About the same time I started bleeding from my thumb. When I looked down I realized that I had a large flap of skin that was slipping back and forth beneath my other hand trying to grip it to stop the bleeding. I managed to get to the back door and call for help from Mike. Luckily he was home when I was doing this. All the blood and what I had seen on my thumb was making me queasy, so I laid down outside while Mike got together everything to head to the hospital. We got to the hospital around 9pm. Four hours later around 1pm I was discharged and had 11 new stitches in my thumb. They had gauzed and splinted me up and I was unable to take off the dressing until this morning. It looks pretty gross, but it really doesn't hurt. The only time I feel pain or discomfort is when the stitches get pulled or my thumb gets bumped. I get to have the stitches removed 10 days from the accident. I'll need to find a new doctor quick once we get down to Baytown!!!

So, I'm going to close this blog now. We will have no internet starting in about 30 minutes, so I will blog again once I'm an official resident of Texas.

No comments: